How µFunds works
In a few words, µFunds works by fetching an HTML page from the chosen data source, parsing the asked data in it and just returning it back to you. More concretely, the performed steps are the following:
- The user calls the muFunds function from a Google Sheets spreadsheet for a certain
option (asset attribute),
id (asset identifier) and
source (website where fetch data from).
source is explicitly given by the user, then µFunds plans to fetch a the asset detail page for that
id. Otherwise, µFunds plans to fetch a Morningstar page in generic mode (
- If the page is cached by Google Apps Script's cache from the last 2 hours, then no external call is performed. Otherwise, the page is fetched and saved in Google Apps Script's cache for the next 2 hours.
- The asked attribute is parsed from the Morningstar page's HTML and returned.
- When fetching data from a country-specific Morningstar site, a translation from standard identifiers (e.g. ISIN, ticker) to Morningstar IDs is necessary. This is due to the fact that country-specific Morningstar pages only work with Morningstar IDs.
- More technical details and the actual code implementation can be found in the Code section of this repository.